Monday, August 31, 2015

Blog Post #1

  • I think computers are becoming an important part in people's education.  Starting even in kindergarten the children are learning how to use computer programs in their classes.  Many concerns come up when using computers in a classroom.  An example is students handwriting and spelling.  As students begin to start typing assignments, they stop writing and if teachers don't make them write much, their handwriting will get worse and worse.  Also, many students don't know how to read or write cursive which is very surprising.  I know that I use spell check ALL the time, because I am a horrible speller.  If kids learn how to use programs like word at a young age, they will learn how to use spell check instead of being able to spell the words out. I do agree with the issues raised in the chapters.  I am majoring in elementary education and I have mixed feelings about technology in classrooms, but the issues raised in the chapter are very important.
  • As an elementary education major I know that technology will be a part of my teaching career.  I would love to be a kindergarten teacher.  In my classroom I will use a smart board or projector and do the work with the students if it is on paper.  I will also probably have math and reading programs that the students will use. In this class I hope to learn creative ways to keep kindergartners interested.
  • I agree with the term digital native.  Kids who have been born in the past few years grew up around technology.  They can turn on computer and get on the internet.  Others know how to use iPhones and other technology.  Digital immigrants are people who didn't grow up with technology.  An example would be a teacher who has never used a smart board or maybe new programs,  I have been in classes where a teacher is a digital immigrant and i wasn't a bad class, but the teacher had long lectures and the teacher wrote everything out.  Sometimes our tests would be copied written questions.  I think my future students will know technology better or as well as I do.  Since I will be teaching Kindergarten it will depend on how much their parents show them.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post, Mary! Technology is a great way to keep kindergarten students interested in the curriculum. I am also glad that you are mindful that the paper/pencil methods are still very important at this age. A mixture of the two methods is definitely a great way to go.

    ReplyDelete